Colombia's Three "Most Mythical Climbs"
Climbs to Leave Medellin
The Hardest Ride:
- Vuelta de Leche: 72 power-climbs. If you ride with a group of Colombians, you won't be walking the next day.
Other Great Rides
- Expect rain. Always carry a vest or rain cape.
- Don't rely on your Garmin for its maps and/or routing. Several roads on the South America maps don't actually exist. And, the routing function can take you through Medellin's worst barrios
- Watch out for buses. Medellin's bus drivers are careless and dangerous
- Don't read the local newspapers
- Be very careful descending. You never know what is, or what isn't, around the corner
Best of Medellin
- Best steak: La Doctora in Sabaneta
- Best babyback ribs: Mundos in Llanogrande
- Best burger: Chef Burger in El Poblado near Calle 10
- Best cerveza: Club Colombia Blanca
- Best rum: Ron Medellin 3 Anos
- Best coffee: Espresso Cortado at Juan Valdez
- Best bike shops: BikeHouse and EuroBike in Poblado
- Best nightlife: Parque Lleras, Rio Sur, La Strada, and Barrio Colombia
- Best month to be in Medellin for non-cycling activities: December
- Best 'typical' discoteca: Dulce Jesus Mio (My Sweet Jesus) in Palmas
- Best icecream: McFlurry at McDonalds
- Best lunch: La Casa in Sao Paulo
- Best fruit bar: Carulla supermarket in Oviedo
- Best malls: Oviedo, Santa Fe, and El Tesoro
- Worst bank: Citibank. Horrible.
Documentaries on Colombia and Medellin:
Email me if you have questions.